Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Sourdough Starter

Today let's talk about sourdough. I am excited to start a sourdough starter! I've been researching sourdough and have found some interesting things.  Call me naive,  but I never even thought about what people used before the yeast you buy in the store.  I guess I thought it was how it was always done and yeast just came that way.  According to Wikipedia, yeast started much like how we do sourdough today.  That it likely was discovered by accidentally leaving the flour and water too long. Fascinating.



So here I am on day 3 of creating my starter and it is full of air holes. I'm excited! Keeping it between 70 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I keep a little thermometer next to it so I can check the temperature.  Before I had it in the basement but it was more like 70 and it just didn't grow much, now in the kitchen its more like 75 to 80 and it is much more successful.

I used America's Test Kitchen recipe for the sourdough starter. It has part wheat and part white flour.  (I couldn't find a link to the recipe, but cooks illustrated had the same one, since they are connected it makes sense.  Here it is. )

What is your favorite sourdough starter recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sourdough starter molded!

Two weeks of growing my sourdough starter and it grew MOLD! I was shocked.  I'm not really sure why.  Maybe contamination? I read a tro...